Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blog Post 11

Ms. Cassidy
I think that Ms. Cassidy's approach to teaching her children about technology is a very good approach. This is my first time hearing about an elementary school using technology in this way and being able to be apart of it. I know that we comment on children's blogs across the world and that some are in the United States but this video and this interview somehow makes it real. These children can barely read or write but are blogging and collaborating with other classes and this is a great way of helping them learn. They are learning to write better sentences and read more because they are interested in what people are saying about there blogs.
I also like how Ms. Cassidy has a webpage that severs as a hub to her students with links to pages they can visit. I believe it is very important for children to be led in the right direction when using the internet because there are many websites that are not meant for children.
This is a picture of a man at a computer thinking.
I believe that in our schools systems in America their would be a little controversy over this type of teaching because administrators would worry we are not preparing our students to pass test. Teachers in the United States to me do not seem to have educational freedom in how they will present a lesson and how they will keep track of their students achievements. I feel that if teachers were given the freedom to teach and to help their students actually learn things then this approach would be the approach many teachers of all grades would take because it teaches and they learn while showing their students' progress.
I would want to use blogs and PLNs in my history classroom because it would be a great way of getting the students more involved in the subjects of the past. I feel if the students had the chance to do research on a topic or event every week and they create a post on what they have learned and compare it to the information from the textbook that we go over in class they would like history more. They would be involved in their learning and not just sitting through it.
I believe Ms. Cassidy's class will not only be technologically advanced but also better readers and writers because of her teaching methods.

3 comments:

  1. I also thought it was unbelievable that students at such a young age were able to use skype and blogging so successfully. When I was un Elementary School, I had no idea how to use technology. The only things I remember using were using a home phone and a t.v. now students are using cameras, computers, cell phones, and many different programs on all of them.
    I also agree that blogging is a wonderful educational tool because it allows the students to use their reading and writing skills.
    I understand and agree that teachers aren't given enough freedom, but I do believe teachers are gaing more freedom to teach students. EDM 310 is a great example, even though it is a college class.
    I enjoyed your post!
    Stephanie Dunaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Mrs. Cassidy's blog. I thought it was awesome how she was incorporating the use of technology into her classroom even though her students are at such a young age. I think pretty much any age holds the ability to utilize technology, such as computers and blogs, as long as we teach them how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Little Kids Big Potential” is the perfect title for this video. This is an awesome demonstration of a couple of important things about kids and technology. First of all, young kids are not uncomfortable using technology and secondly, technology allows young kids to learn tasks like writing, reading, and specific subject matter in multiple ways at the same time. Using computers for these students will be as common and automatic as using pencil and paper was for students 10 years before. Mastering these tools early on prepares these students for more enhanced and efficient learning in the future. SS

    ReplyDelete