Friday, October 8, 2010

PLN first post

I have looked at and created two PLNs one using Netvibes and the other using Symbaloo. I have looked around on both sites to see which site best fits my personality and needs.
Symbaloo was a little hard for me to understand. I could not figure out how to add other widgets to my dashboard. Since this is what I understand the purpose of a PLN to be I did not find it very helpful. I found it to be generic and something I would not view often.
Netvibes on the other hand was very easy to navigate and figure out. Within minutes I was adding things to my page and added an education tab. Within my education tab I found it easy to add widgets that gave a feed to my blog and the class blog. I also started searching for widgets about education and teaching. I found some really helpful ones and added them to the tab with ease. I also found a widget for Delicious so now I can see my bookmarks in my PLN. One of my favorite widgets I have found so far has been a widget where you can add a website to your PLN even if it does not have a widget created. On my general tab in my PLN I have added my Facebook and Twitter accounts so that I can keep up with things in my social network as well. Unlike Symbaloo Netvibes does not take me to another page to view my timelines. After a while I looked at the time and an hour had past and I was still learning new things about my PLN on Netvibes.

Needless to say, I deleted my Symbaloo account and bookmarked my Netvibes account. I look forward to learning about more things I can add to my PLN in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tierra,

    Sorry to hear your experience wasn't optimal. We are here to help if you have any more questions regarding Symbaloo. Your feedback was great and our development team is working on a way to easily navigate widgets in the future. Netvibes and Symbaloo are definitely very different tools and can be used in very different ways. In addition to being a great PLE for students and teachers, Symbaloo can be used to share resources, as a presentation tool and as an ePortfolio for students.

    Please don't hesitate to reach out, I would love to help in any way. Again, thank you for the candid review.

    Daniela
    Team Symbaloo
    @danielabolzmann
    daniela @ symbaloo.com

    ReplyDelete