Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Post 8

Watch Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
Mr. Miller's videos were really interesting to watch. He talks about the way things have changed concerning writing and publishing. He mentions that some of the incremental change are where we work and how we work. He points out that he use to spend most of his time in the library researching and writing papers. However, now most of all writing is done using the desktop on one's computer. On the computer we can use word processors to write and the internet to do research. He also points out that the internet is now how we work. People tend to not only publish print copies of bools and papers but also online versions for the public to see. He says that this is a good way for educators to share their ideas freely. However, he points out that the desktop will soon be replaced by the internet. People will soon write and publish things directly into the internet for them to be seen and read by many.
I believe Mr. Miller is true in his finding. The way people work and where they work has completely changed. I like Mr. Miller feel that the change has just began and is far from over. In a few more there will be new ways of working/writing that the world will embrace just as we have word processors.
The Chipper Series
Chipper was a really entertaining but educational video. It is very important to get your work done on time in school because it prepares you for the future. I am one of those students who wait until the last minute but I am also a student who turns my work in on time. I may be late once but after that I make it my mission to not be late again. I do have a busy life but school is very important because it shapes my future. I believe this video will lcontinue to be very beneficial to many students.
EDM310 for Dummies
This video is very informative. There have been plenty of times when I get text or emails from classmates asking me about an assignment or looking for a better understanding on something. I have always watched videos on YouTube and tried to read very carefully so that I can fully understand the assignments. Jamie Lynn is correct in saying there would be plenty money to make on making this a real book.
Michael Staton, Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative
This is a picture of a smartboard.I really enjoyed reading this post. I have always sort of wondered why there was a need for smartboards and how were they different from a white board and projector. Yes, I understand that they give the students a chance to be more interactive in the classroom, but how many things could the students really do? Smartboards seem to be a good idea for math and science classes because those are the classes with the most interaction. However, what place do smartboards have in other classrooms like history? This post gave me some much needed insight and information on smartboards in the classroom.
Bill Ferriter, Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards
This post was much like the last in saying that smartboards are a waste of money and about PR. Smartboards are not changing our schools or the learning that is taking place. Most teachers do not even use their smartboards. My pre-calculus class in high school had a smartboard and it just sat in the classroom all semester. If schools have money to spend they should use it for really changing the classroom and not just creating the illusion of change to look good.

3 comments:

  1. Tierra,

    The way we work and the places we do our work has definitely progressed. I personally still enjoy researching in a library and writing a paper; however, I love the fact that I can also instantly find things via the internet. Google Docs is definitely a way to publish things online and share your work. Blogging also allows this interaction to take place. As time progresses, so does technology, and I cannot wait to see the new innovations to come.

    Doing things on time is essential in life. As a professional in a workplace, you have to conduct yourself in a proper way, and that includes turning things in when they are due. I believe punctuation is essential in every aspect of life. I'm also happy to hear that you are collaborating. I think it is great that you help your fellow classmates. By assisting others, you are actually learning and helping yourself. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tierra

    I like your blog and you are doing a great job. I like the smartboard and so do my kids and I have been able to use it in every subject. I think EDM is helping every one in some way learn more about what technology can bring to the class room.I think that its important to be on time with work because it shows that you care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed reading about the pros and cons of the smartboards. I was in college before I saw my first smartboard, and yes they are cool, but I also agree with the points that they may be too expensive. I guess it will be something I will have to try out myself to weigh the pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete