Monday, October 4, 2010

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler:
The networked classroom is a very good idea in some classrooms but I am not sure it could work with all education levels.This type of classroom could easily work in a college setting because it set up for the student to learn using other educational resources. However, I am not positive this can work in a middle school classroom environment because the students are being taught at a young age to depend on their teachers for all of the information on a lesson. Students are not taught to second guess teachers or even research on their own. Of course most students are given some type of research project but none that is in the depth of this networked classroom.
If a teacher could accomplish this in a classroom it would be very beneficial to their students. Their students would start learning the skills needed in college and possibly their careers. The students would also be taught how to learn independently. It would be the teachers job to guide them through the network but not to do it for them. This is why I feel their is still a need for a teacher in this kind of classroom because the students will always need someone to answer their question and guide them.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)
Seeing this students PLE really taught me about a Personal Learning Network. Before this video I really had no idea what a PLN was or was suppose to look like. I just knew that it was something I am setting up in this class. Now I have a much better understanding and I am even more interested in setting up my PLN. I am so glad that we had to watch this video because I can honestly say I have a much better understanding about this class and what I am suppose to be learning. This video also gave me great ideas on how this could be used in a history classroom.
Also, this video gave me a better understanding on how the networked classroom could be applied in any classroom as long as the teacher is willing.

The Machine is Changing Us
This video gave me new ways to view our society and our culture. I have never really cared why people used YouTube or thought about the impact they make in our society. I agree with his research that people feel free and confident when it comes to posting on YouTube because they do not know their audience. I also understand how this could also cause people to be more nervous and self aware because people all around will be watching them.
I found it very interesting how he pulled quotes from the past into his lecture and they not only fit perfectly but helped explain issues of today. I enjoyed how he started the lecture with comparing the different views of the books 1984. This was interesting to me because I have read the Huxley version and really enjoyed it. His whole lecture helped me to not only think more about the internet and its networking powers but to also get a better understanding about it as well.
This is a picture of the YouTube logo.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Tierra! I agree with your post. Students do need teachers even in a networked classroom. You make a very good point about the networked classroom not working on all education levels. I can't see it working with elementary school. Middle school could be the beginning stages of learning how it works, but definitely in high school and college.

    I see you learned a lot from the PLN video. This student has a very organized PLN, and her PLN is very similar to what ours should consist of for this class. I didn't know much about a PLN until I watched this video. It gave me some ideas about what all a PLN could include. I personally think the PLN is a great tool for students and teachers to have.

    Mr. Wesch did address some very interesting topics in his video. I agree with the point he says about posting videos on YouTube. I know for a fact that I can speak in front of many people I do not know with ease, but if I have to speak in front of people I know, I tend to get a little nervous.

    I enjoyed reading your post. You pointed out great details. I wish you luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 day late

    You write: "Students are not taught to second guess teachers or even research on their own." Why not? Shouldn't they be?

    Ms. Drexler's experiment in middle school worked quite well. She Skyped EDM310 last spring and discussed it. Her Skype session is available for viewing. I may even require it later in the term.

    I am glad you found The Machine Is Changing Us useful. I will add a post about it to the class blog soon.

    ReplyDelete