Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Post 10

Morgan Bayda
I really enjoyed reading Mrs. Bayda post because I can relate to what she is saying. Most of my classes are just like those she described. It really irritates me that I am not learning but that I am memorizing in most of my classes. I am irritated because I love to learn and because I am not good at memorizing. This depressing technique of memorizing that teachers use today is what inspired me to want to be a history teacher. I enjoy history and learning new things about the past however, this is not very true for many students today. I have challenged myself to change the way history is taught at least to my classes. I want history to be more about learning what happened in history why it happened and what one could do to stop history from repeating itself. I want my students to think deeper about events and to know more than just names and dates. However, I do not know if this is possible because our education system is very restrictive when it comes to learning right now. Teachers are worried about jamming facts into their students mind for them to memorize for a test than getting them to understand process. I hope their is a change in the way education is presented or else like Mr. Brown said it will not be needed or valued.
This is a picture of a bunch of pencils stacked on top of each other.

Two Questions That Can Change Your Life
I really enjoyed this video and I agree that everyone should have a sentence that sums up their goals. My sentence for the time is She wanted to be different and teach children history through learning instead of memorization. I realize that my sentence will be tough top accomplish but it is my goal to do so because I it to be the first thing that comes to my student's mind when they are ask by fellow students how I am as a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Tierra,

    You bring up a great point ... It really irritates me that I am not learning but that I am memorizing in most of my classes. I am irritated because I love to learn ... Most students really want to learn and the current system is killing their creativity and willingness to learn! Imagine what the future could hold for our youth if we make learning something that interesting and fun.

    ReplyDelete