Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blog Post 3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
I relate to this video in many ways. I am like most of the students in it. I attend college to be prepared for the career path I have chosen. However, most of my class do not teach me a thing. I still memorize answers for a test because I will not use the information after that one test. I do not feel like a student to many of my teachers but more like a piece of cardboard paying their salary. Two of my teachers this year has even tried to learn the students' names.
I like many of the students in this video have a computer in class but it is not for class work. Although most of the teachers know what students are doing they do not care as long as you pretend to be listening. I take a drama class where I just take notes every day. There is no active learning in schools. This makes it hard to want to go to class everyday because you are put to sleep by the teachers who are suppose to be teaching you things that will help you in the future. This video read my mind and illustrated it perfectly for others to see.

"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines
"It's not about technology" was a really good post that summarized exactly how I have been feeling. I am one of those students who wish to learn but the ways my teachers present the material to me is just boring. When I decided to be a teacher I thought about many ways I could present my students history without boring them. All of my ideas included fun learning that did not include technology. Technology is not what makes a teacher a great teacher it is indeed the willingness to learn. Once a teacher is willing to learn then technology can be used to help that teacher share its message.
This post was the most inspirational thing i have read since deciding to teach for a living. It inspired me to keep thinking outside the box and to let others join when they are ready. I believe even more now that i will be a great teacher and it is thanks to Ms. Hines.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
Mr. Fisch blog post was very interesting. I agree with the standards he outlined for being a teacher. I also agree that is is very irresponsible to not be technologically literate when you are teaching our future. As teachers you have the responsibility to help students do their best by any means. If a teacher is not willing to learn more about computers then they should not be teaching children. A teacher who does not at least try to learn more is not helping their students at all they are hindering them.

I also really enjoyed that Mr. Fisch really let the readers know his inner thoughts in this blog. I liked the way he was constantly contradicting himself because it helped me as a reader understand and really think about what he was saying.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
I believe that the count means that teachers will have to utilize the many new ways of reaching their students. There can be no more simply in class teaching going on. It is time for a change. Assignment can be posted on Facebook and there should be a time slot for questions. Groups can now meet outside of the classroom without really meeting because of the many new ways to stay in touch and share information. I think this count is a good thing. It is sort of a wake up call for teachers to come. Start thinking outside of the box because that will be the only way to relate to your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment